If you’re a student who has recently graduated from a Canadian institution, you may be eligible to apply for a post-study work permit, which will allow you to work in Canada for a certain period of time after you complete your studies. Here are the steps you need to follow to apply for a post-study work permit:
- Make sure you’re eligible
To be eligible for a post-study work permit, you must have:
- Completed a full-time program of study at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada
- Obtained a written confirmation from your DLI that you’ve met the requirements to graduate
- Applied for and been granted a study permit before starting your studies
If you meet these requirements, you can move on to the next step.
- Gather the necessary documents
To apply for a post-study work permit, you’ll need to provide several documents, including:
- A copy of your study permit
- A copy of your written confirmation of graduation from your DLI
- Proof of your completion of a full-time program of study, such as a transcript or diploma
- Your passport or travel document
- Two recent passport-sized photographs
- Submit your application
Once you have all the necessary documents, you can apply for a post-study work permit by submitting an online application through the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. You’ll need to pay a processing fee when you submit your application.
- Wait for a decision
After you submit your application, the IRCC will review it and make a decision. This process can take several weeks or even months, so it’s important to be patient. You’ll be notified by email when a decision has been made on your application.
- Get your work permit
If your application is approved, you’ll be issued a post-study work permit. This permit will allow you to work in Canada for a certain period of time after you complete your studies. The length of time you’re allowed to work will depend on the length of your program of study, with those who completed longer programs being eligible for longer work permits.
That’s it! These are the steps you need to follow to apply for a post-study work permit in Canada. It’s important to carefully read the instructions and requirements on the IRCC website, and to gather all the necessary documents before you submit your application. Good luck!